The biggest trend in indoor gardening is here! Our picks for the best herb garden kits are must-haves if you want to eat fresh, tasty food at home.
Why buy a kit and not just a bunch of plant pots and herb seeds?
They’re designed to take up minimal space and to accommodate several species of herb without interfering with each other and they’re ideal for the first time herb grower.
AeroGarden Harvest Elite
If you already know that you’re going to love having fresh herbs on tap then it’s worth investing in the AeroGarden Harvest Elite.
It can support six gourmet herbs (supplied) in their own pods and includes a full season’s worth of food for each herb.
That makes setting this system up super easy and you can quickly start enjoying tasty herbs with every meal.
The high-performance grow lights are LED which means they are cheap to run but don’t be fooled they’re powerful enough to get your plants up to 12” tall!
1. Without a doubt, the easiest herb garden to set up in our round up
2. Super tasty luxury herbs that really make your meals special
3. Very low maintenance for the first season which is nice
1. Some users aren’t impressed with the selection of herbs
2. There is no battery backup for the clock
3. You have to water this on a regular basis
iDOO Hydroponics Growing System, Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit
The IDOO hydroponic growing system is an ideal herb garden starter kit for those on a tighter budget.
Our kids loved setting this up though it wasn’t quite as straightforward as with our top pick, it wasn’t hard, either.
There are three mode settings that you can use to get the best from each stage of herb growth too.
The Hydroponic Circulation System increases the oxygen levels in the water and makes it much easier for your herbs to thrive.
1. Very affordable, in fact, surprisingly so
2. Nutrients are all supplied in pill form which makes it easy to use
3. Digital alerts are super handy to remind you to water/feed your herbs
1. The buttons could be better labelled
2. Some customers have reported receiving partial shipments
3. Not as sturdy as our top pick
Moistenland Hydroponics Growing System, Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit
The biggest kit in our round up, the Moistenland Hydroponics Herb Garden Starter Kit, allows you to grow up to 12 plants at a time and there’s no need to use any soil with this kit – this means you can be certain there’s no heavy metal or pesticide contamination of your crop too.
It comes with all the seed pods that you need but seeds and nutrients are not included.
This kit is a smart kit and it knows when to toggle on and off the LED lights to give your plants the best photosynthesis opportunities without overwhelming them.
1. Big enough to grow herbs for a larger family
2. The purple light gives the whole thing a funky vibe
3. Reasonably well constructed
1. The growing baskets aren’t as deep as we’d like and it makes the sponges useless
2. The pod nearest the water filling station doesn’t cover properly
3. Hard to adjust the light height
Blaward Hydroponics Growing System, Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit
The Blaward Hydroponics Growing System is very good and it’s only its slightly steeper price tag that edged it out of our top 3 picks.
It can accommodate up to 10 plants at a time and they can grow over 1 foot tall!
Unfortunately, they don’t supply seeds or nutrients but everything else you need is in the box.
This growing kit uses a V Type water adding device which allows for a very large reservoir and thus, you don’t need to water your herbs as often.
1. Great clear instructions included
2. Grows 10 plants at a time
3. Needs less frequent watering
1. A little expensive for what it is
2. No seeds or nutrients included
3. Some users report pieces missing on receipt
Williams Sonoma Blue & White Herb Starter Set
We included the Williams Sonoma Herb Starter Set not because of any kind of technical excellence but because it’s gorgeous.
While all the other herb garden kits offer tasty herbs, this offers tasty herbs and serious style.
You can only grow three herbs at a time in this set, so you may want to use it as a backup to a bigger herb garden kit.
1. The best looking herb garden that we’ve seen
2. Herbs grow just fine in this kit
3. Very classic herb garden feel to it
1. Requires more maintenance than other herb gardens
2. Grows fewer herbs than other herb gardens
3. Quite expensive
Last Word on Herb Garden Kits
We hope that you’ve found the right herb growing kit for you and your family in our best herb garden kits list.
You’ll be amazed at the difference fresh herbs make to the taste of any meal and they’re so healthy that it seems a shame to miss out on their benefits, doesn’t it?